Healthy Digestion is Key to a Strong Immune System
Before I became a Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, I never gave much thought to the gut and immune system connection. I ate what I wanted and if I had a belly ache, became constipated or had diarrhea, I'd pop an over the counter pill into my mouth such as imodium or tums. Little did I know that "my little life-savers" were throwing off my bodies natural response to eating foods that my body could not tolerate. I didn't think about the digestive stress my body was enduring and the weakening of my immune system!
Health Digestion Is the Seat of Total Health
The purpose of the digestive system is to bring nutrients to each cell of your body. When this doesn't happen we feel tired and sluggish, can't think clearly and begin to develop symptoms of illness. If left unintended, these symptoms can develop into full-blown health problems - Digestive Wellness, Elizabeth Lipski, Ph.D., CCN, CHN
Eventually I developed food intolerances and food allergies. And guess what?! To the very foods I ate all the time! The foods I loved! Cheese, yogurt, eggs, peanut butter, shrimp, wine, wheat, balsamic vinegar, oranges.....! I suffered from headaches, rashes, diarrhea/constipation, stomach upset, hot flashes, brain fog, adrenal fatigue, sinusitis... whenever I ate these foods.
70%-80% of your Immune Tissue
is Located within your Digestive System
If you consistently suffer from any of the aliments listed above or below (not limited to), its time to "listen to your gut". Stop ignoring what your body may be telling you.
- Chronic joint pain
- Chronic muscle pain
- Mood swings
- Poor memory
- Hormonal imbalances
Here are a few things I did to regain my healthy gut and nourish my body, mind and soul:
- Food journal - daily logging of what I consumed helped me identify the foods that were wrecking havoc on my body
- Lemon water every morning - aids in digestion and helps flush out the toxins in your body
- Daily probiotic - helps balance the ratio of good and bad bacteria. According to digestive experts, the balance of gut flora should be 85% good bacteria and 15% bad bacteria.
- Digestive enzymes - aids in digestion helping your system breakdown fats, proteins and sugars enhancing nutrient absorption.
- Green smoothie every day! <3 - fiber rich and loaded with the nutrients my cells thrive on. The spinach alone contains Vitamins A, K, C B2, B6 and minerals manganese, iron, folate, calcium and potassium
- Removed processed foods and sugars - contains harmful ingredients that may cause cancer and other diseases. Processed foods are high in trans fats, sodium, artificial sugars such as high fructose corn syrup & aspartame and multiple preservatives.
- Adapted a plant-based lifestyle, eating lots of fruits, veggies and legumes
- Meditate - calms the mind and increases ones ability to manage stress levels.
Here's to a healthy gut, healthy life!!